Wednesday 10 March 2010

Step 1. Give it a go!

After my last blog about not entirely knowing what kind of photography I wanted to go into I had a bit of a think.

This week is "Varsity" week. This basically entails a whole series of grudge matches between UKC (University of Kent in Canterbury - my university) and CCCU (Canterbury Christchurch University). Two universities in one town is bound to draw up some rivalries! I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try out some sport photography. I managed to get myself on the side lines for Varsity Mens Rugby match.  The problem however was that it was a 7:30pm. This means it was dark. The pitch was flood lit which was fine for the spectators (quite a good crowd turned up!) But in terms of photography it was dark. After having done some research I learnt that I'd need a shutter speed of about 1/1000 of a second to ensure that I froze the action. Looking back I think I could have brought this down to somewhere between 1/350 and 1/500. But never mind. However this meant that I had to use an ISO (film speed) of 12800. This is very high. High ISO means you get grainy photos. Grainy photos are horrible (unless they're "artistic"!). 

The match itself was ok. But I didn't get any "killer" photos, But experience is experience. Something I do have is called "noise ninja". This is a plug-in for photoshop that does wonderful things to remove the grain from "noisy" images. Below are two versions of the same photo. One using noise ninja and one without:























No Noise Ninja

                                                                                    




















Noise Ninja

You can see there is definitely a difference although the noise ninja-ed(?!) image does lose a bit of detail.
I would never consider using an image like this professionally but it's an interesting test and noise ninja could be very useful on images that don't have quite so much noise.
So the sport experience was good, and depending on how much time I have I may well try and go to other varsity events to photograph as well. Although I have serious amounts of work to do. (and yet I'm still writing this :S!)

The second completely different thing I did to procrastinate in the library yesterday was to create a "fantasy scene". This is not something from my own mind unfortunately but I followed a step by step photoshop tutorial  to try and create an image. Just like following a recipe and trying to get your food looking just like it does in the book! This is the first "complicated" tutorial I've followed and I loved it! I shall show you the image...



This image obviously isn't real but it's a long complicated mash up of different images to make a cool fantasy style image. This is the first time I've successfully followed a tutorial of this kind and I learnt quite a lot on the way! Now all I need is the creativity in my own mind to come up with this in my head and then try to get it out on the computer!

There you go. Two entirely separate events and experiences. Both I thoroughly enjoyed. And both I plan on doing again soon.

Done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment