Tuesday 2 March 2010

Which branch of that metaphorical tree next?

So. I have finally worked out what I want to do after university. Photography. Excellent. Most of my friends and family are getting used the idea now (although some are making sure I'm being realistic about the likelihood of it happening (it's good to dream (and conveniently I have one (I also like brackets)))).

Now the question seems to be coming along that says "Cool, what sort of photography are you into?"
Ummm,
Errr,
Good question.

The obvious answer, and the one I seem to give at the moment is "Well, wedding and portrait photography mainly".
It seems every man and his dog is doing wedding photography now (well maybe not his dog, opposable thumbs are quite important). It's easy to turn up to a wedding and take lots of photos. But there is definitely something that sets apart your average wedding photographer from your world class photographer. David Ziser is a one of (many) world class photographers and although his website is less than inspiring (weirdly!) His photos are astonishing. He probably doesn't need a website to advertise. I think he's that in demand!

Portraits? Well I've tried my hand at portraits and I like what I see but again there's a huge difference between normal portrait photography and world class photography. Check out Joe McNally or Blair Buntings website.

These seem like the obvious ones to get into because loads of people are getting married and want family portraits (even in the recession) and still pay the money for them.

But what about the other aspects? Wildlife, Sport, Travel, Photojournalism, Fashion, Commercial.

How does one go about getting into those catagories?

Again in my mind it spans that huge chasm between being a photographer and being a world class photographer and I think the guys who fill that gap have found the ultimate combination:
Skill, Luck (right place right time), People, Experience, Natural Talent

You can gain experience, you can (sometimes) meet the right people, you can gain skill. But you can't do anything about luck or natural talent.

If I'm honest I don't know what I would like to do. I think I would love to do any combination of Wildlife, Sport and Travel, Weddings and Portraits. Greedy I know.
But the first three? How do you convince someone to pay you to travel and take photos. Sport photography is a very expensive hobby and it seems like a vicious circle. You can't get the jobs without the kit and you can't get the kit without the jobs. Obviously you could get other jobs to get the kit but it's a steep investment if you don't know if you're going to make it or not! (£2,000 - >£10,000 for a lens).

So where do I go? Who do I speak to? What's the way forward? How does one go about taking the iconic images we all would recognise in a flash. Marilyn Munroe and the floaty skirt? The naked girl running from the Vietnam napalm attacks? The man blocking the tanks in Tiananmen Square?

I'll figure it out. I've decided not to be happy with mediocrity.

Done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment